Long-time no recipe, eh? Well, I have to say it does feel damn good to be back. Over the past couple of months, as I’ve watched the economy take a turn for the worse (what can I say, I’m a financial planner by day now), I’ve given special attention to cooking up nutritious, delicious, and economical meals. The goal is to feed a family of 4 for under $10. Shall we see if it’s possible?
First up on the menu is Broccoli-Miso Ramen with Brown Rice Noodles. This vegetarian dish is super filling and, in my humble opinion, very nourishing. You only need a few simple ingredients and it cooks super quickly.
- 1 steamable bag of microwave broccoli = $2.25
- 1/2 package of brown rice noodles = $3.25
- 1/4th onion, sliced = .50
- 1/4 cup chickpea miso = $2.75
Total cost = $8.75
- For a family of 4, this is a low-calorie dinner. To boost the protein and hit the 500-600 calorie mark per meal, I’d suggest adding 1-2 chicken breasts to the sautee pan or 1 can of chickpeas to this delicious entree. Because the total cost is $8.75, you can still get pretty close to the $10 mark and add extra protein.
- You can get your protein from either plants or animals, these are just some suggestions.
That’s not too shabby if I do say so.
Broccoli-Miso Ramen with Rice Noodles (V, GF)
It is possible to feed your family nutritious food and stick to a budget. This broccoli miso ramen is a perfect recipe to get started…
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Under $10
- Diet: Vegan
1 box of thin rice noodles
1 steamable bag of broccoli or 1 head of broccoli
1/4 onion, sliced
1/8 cup chickpea miso
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut, almond, or hemp milk
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 dash of cayenne pepper
- Begin by heating 4 quarts of water to a boil in a medium-sized pot
- In a separate pan, saute onions in 1 Tbsp coconut oil at a low temperature until the onions are translucent
- Steam the broccoli in the microwave for the recommended amount of time (5-7 minutes) OR chop and add broccoli pieces to the pan with the onions. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until soft and slightly browned
- Turn the boiling water off, add the rice noodles, and allow to sit for 5-6 minutes. Then, drain the rice noodles
Make the Miso Soup
- In a blender, add 1/8 cup chickpea miso with 2.5 cups of hot water, 1/4 cup plant-based milk of choice, and dash of cayenne. Blend for 1-2 minutes
Put it all together
- In bowls, add brown rice noodles, steamed broccoli, and sauteed onions. Then, pour desired amount of miso soup into the bowls.
- Sip at your leisure and enjoy!
Keywords: miso soup, under $10, vegan, vegetarian,
Please let me know your thoughts.
1. Would you eat this meal?
2. Do you think your family would eat this meal?
3. Do you have any requests for affordable and healthy meals on a budget?
Comment your thoughts below!