By Mandy Froelich / Life in Bloom
Following the re-release of the Delectable Juices & Smoothies eBook, I decided to whip up a new treat. It’s been too long, truly. This simple treat is a vegan variation of traditional chocolate turtles. It’s also healthier, but still sooooo satisfying. I hope you all love it.
You’ll start by toasting pecans…
Then you’ll make the turtle base in a food processor
Finally, you’ll melt chocolate over a double broiler with coconut oil…
and then put it together!
Simple Chocolate Turtles [Vegan]
This yummy snack is healthy and easy-to-make.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 16 1x
- Category: Snac
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Diet: Gluten Free
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and roast pecans on a Teflex-covered or bare baking sheet for 10-12 minutes (watch carefully as not to burn). Set aside.
- In the meantime, add pitted dates to a food processor and pulse/mix until small bits remain or a ball forms. Then add the almond meal and pulse again. If the dough appears too sticky to handle, add more almond meal and pulse to combine.
- Using your hands, form the date mixture into 8 small, round discs and place on a parchment-lined pan. Add four toasted pecan halves to make the turtle “legs,” then freeze for 10 minutes to harden.
- In the meantime, melt chocolate and coconut oil over a double boiler on the stovetop (a ceramic or glass bowl set over a saucepan with 1-inch simmering water will work) or in the microwave in 30-second increments and set aside.
- Remove turtles from the freezer and top each with a generous spoonful of melted chocolate. Use the spoon to evenly coat the tops of the candies. If you have leftover chocolate, reserve it for another use, like dipping strawberries or bananas.
- Pop turtles back in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to set. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days, or the freezer for up to 1 month. If frozen, set out for 10 minutes before consuming for best results.
Keywords: minimalist baker, turtle recipe, chocolate turtle, healthy snack, healthy dessert, vegan,
This treat is ooey gooey and so yummy.
What are your thoughts? Please comment below and share this recipe!