This delectable vegan lentil loaf is easy-to-make and very nutritious.
1) Rinse lentils, and in a large pot add 2 1/2 cups of water. Pour in the lentils. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 35 minutes. Stir occasionally. Don’t worry if they get mushy. Rinse and set aside, they will continue to thicken. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2) In a bowl (small), combine flaxseed meal and 1/3 cup water. Set aside for at least 10 minutes to thicken. This will be your vegan ‘egg’, or you can just add an egg to your mixture if not abstaining from this product.
3) Prepare your vegetables by sautéing olive oil or water on medium heat. Add garlic and onions until translucent, then add your bell pepper, carrots, and celery. Sauté for about 5 minutes. Add spices, mixing well to incorporate all. Set this mix aside to cool.
4) Using a food processor or blender, blend 3/4 of the lentils. They will help bind the loaf.
5) Combine sautéed vegetables with lentils, oats, oat flour, and flax egg. Then, mix well. Taste, and add some more spices or fresh herbs if you desire. Add your salt and pepper as needed. Pour your mixture into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper, and allow it to overlap for easy removal later. Press down firmly to fill the pan along the edges, too
6) Prepare your glaze by combining all ingredients in a small bowl, and mix until incorporated. It’s recommended to make every TBSP heaping so you have plenty of the delicious topping. Spread over the loaf, and bake in the over for about 45-50 minutes. Let it cool before slicing.
Keywords: lentil loaf, vegan, vegetable