This week, I’d like to feature a recipe by a new acquaintance, Tully Zander. The recipe blogger is a hardcore vegan advocate and has tons of inspirational wisdom on her website, Vegans First.
While perusing her blog, I stumbled across this delicious recipe for vegan fajita quesadillas. I know what you might be thinking: “Those sound too good to be cruelty-free!”. Fortunately for us all, you would be wrong.
Tully writes on her blog,
“People are getting healthier and more conscious about helping not only the environment, but also the animals. If you think eating vegan means only eating vegetables, think again. There are endless recipes of vegan meals and they can be very delicious and easy to cook. You don’t need to stop eating what you always liked, there’s always a way of adapting a recipe.”
“This vegan and vegetarian quesadilla recipe is perfect for eating at home with friends or family, for lunch or dinner. Additionally, if you have kids and they bring friends to your house, this recipe can turn into a delicious and nutritive vegan snack,” she adds.
Without further ado, here is a delectable fajita quesadilla recipe shared by Tully.
Fajita Quesadillas w/ Chipotle Cream [Vegan, GF]
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Serving Size: 4-6
- Red and yellow bell pepper
- ½ red onion
- 1 large zucchini
- ½ cup grated vegan cheddar
- ½ cup grated vegan mozzarella
- 1 teaspoon of lemon pepper
- 1 bunch scallions
- 8 flour tortillas
- Vegan butter or extra virgin olive oil
- To start, toss the oil, bell peppers, onion, zucchini and lemon pepper in a bowl. Mix all vegetables, then season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a grill pan over high heat and add all the vegetables of the bowl there. You won’t need oil because we already used it inside the bowl. Cook them until it’s soft and charred.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the vegetables cool. Place the vegetables in a bowl and mix it up with the cheese and scallions.
- Now, you can fill the tortilla with the cheese and vegetables. Fill it until you think it’s necessary. Repeat this step with the other tortillas.
- Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat and add a bit of vegan butter or oil. In this step, you can cook two quesadillas the same time inside the pan. Wait until the cheese is melted.
- Cut the avocado and scoop it out with a spoon. Slice it up and add a little salt.
- Remove the quesadilla from the pan and cut it up in 3 (three) sizes. Top all the quesadillas with avocado. Make sure that every slice has a bit of avocado in the top.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Serving Size: 4-6
- 1 can of Chipotle Chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 cup of vegan mayonnaise
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the chipotle chiles and vegan mayonnaise. Add a dash of salt and pepper.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
Until next time,
Lead image source: HipLatina