Hey, lovelies. Happy July! As my birthday and our moving date (to South Dakota – did I mentioned we’re farmsteading?) approaches, I am honestly feeling a bit muddled. There is so much going on with work and our travel plans that it’s a feat if I can summon the energy on the weekends to go “above and beyond” simple adulting tasks.
This afternoon, when my sweet tooth kicked in (like it typically does), I found myself wondering, “What can I make with the ingredients in our kitchen that won’t just turn into a mug cake?”. Yes, I am guilty of throwing together an almond flour + egg + cacao + almond butter mixture a few times per month. This slightly-more-interesting treat was the answer.
Free of grains, gluten, and dairy, this banana chocolate chip bread recipe is healthier than most varieties. Made with a base of almond flour, coconut flour, eggs, and nutrient-dense ingredients like cacao, vanilla, and almond butter, this morning breakfast or appetizing snack is very filling.
I love crafting allergen-free treats because then I can share them with more folks (friends and colleagues – yes, I sometimes still travel into an office despite COVID). Not to mention, my body thanks me for taking the time to cook from scratch. Who else just likes the taste of almond flour desserts?
Step 1: Mix the “wet” ingredients
To make this recipe, you’ll mash two bananas with a fork. Then, add the coconut oil, almond butter, vanilla, and eggs. Stir or whisk until well-combined.
Step 2: Combine the “dry” ingredients
Next, you’ll add your dry ingredients together in a bowl. Almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, and cinnamon get tossed into the liquidy abyss. When mixed, a delicious batter is created.
Step 3: Mix in the chocolate chips
The final step is to add chocolate chips. I love Lily’s stevia-sweetened brand and am kind of obsessed.
Step 4: Pour into a loaf pan
Mix ‘em in. Add parchment paper to a loaf pan and pour in the batter.
Step 5: Bake in the oven
Cook on high for 30-35 minutes until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean or the edges are golden brown.
Step 6: Cool and enjoy
Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes, then slice and serve!
As we all cope with the craziness of this world, I hope something simple, like this chocolate and banana-based treat, can help make your day and week maybe a little bit better. Don’t forget, you do deserve to be happy and healthy. 😉
Grain-Free Banana-Chocolate Chip Bread
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 40
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Paleo
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 large overripe bananas, about 1 cup (mashed)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup creamy almond butter
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I used Lily’s stevia-sweetened)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a standard loan (or line with parchment paper) pan, set aside.
- In a small bowl combine coconut flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon). Set aside.
- In a large, glass mixing bowl melt together coconut oil and almond butter (for about 1 minute on high), stir until combined.
- Add mashed banana, maple syrup, and vanilla extract and mix.
- Add eggs and stir until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until completely combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Scrape batter into loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes top is set, golden brown, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before gently removing. Transfer to a wire rack to continue cooling.
- Slice and enjoy!
- To freeze: let cool then place slices in an airtight container and put in the freezer. To reheat microwave on high for about 30 seconds per half-inch slice!
Keywords: paleo, chocolate banana bread, grain-free banana bread, healthy, low-carb recipes,