Every now and again, you just need something that’s healthy and filling. That’s this mashed chickpea salad, made with fresh vegetables and a cashew-based mayonnaise.
I was first acquainted with the process of making chickpeas into a salad (who knew!?) when I lived in South Dakota and purchased a container of fresh, mashed chickpea salad from a health food store. My mom and I just
died thrived tasting the flavors of grapeseed oil, celery, and fresh herbs.
It wasn’t long before I developed my own, adapted from The Simple Veganista.
I love making the mashed chickpea salad to surprise folks. Truly, no one guesses it’s vegan or made with a cashew-based mayonnaise until after they’ve wolfed it down.
This salad is great between two slices of bread, in a wrap, or on crostini. I also enjoy it in lettuce wraps.
Mashed Chickpea Salad
- 1 Can or 15 oz chickpeas (garbanzo beans) drained and set aside
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup scallions or onion
- 1/4 cup cashew-based Mayonnaise
- 1-2 Tbsp mustard (stoneground or dijon)
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Dash of garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika, garnish
- 1/8 cup parsley (fresh), minced
- 1/8 cup dill (fresh), minced
- Optional: Sprinkle of pumpkin seeds
- In a food processor, pulse the chickpeas until a broken, mashed consistency is achieved. Transfer to a medium-sized bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients (except paprika and a small amount of parsley) and stir with a big spoon.
- Transfer to a serving container, sprinkle paprika, and place your garnish of parsley on top.
- Will keep 5-7 days in an air-tight container in the fridge.
I hope you enjoy this recipe…
Lead image via Naughty Nutrition